Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Finding a Job!

While I was waiting for the results of my final, I started job hunting. With Career Step, they give you access to their forums and I was able to research and find TONS of companies to apply for. Career Step also gives you the option to get help from them to find a job (they will help you write a resume, send you job leads, etc.), but I never even had to contact them for help because there are SOOOOO many jobs available. I applied to A LOT of jobs (I wont lie) and tested with about 10. I recieved four job offers within two weeks of graduating. I accepted two of those offers. I started my first job with a company called Sten-Tel on January 2, 2007. Here is a blog I put on MySpace shortly after starting my job...


Becoming an MT
I just thought I would share a little blog about things in my life right now.
I graduated from Career Step on December 4, 2007. I started to work for Sten-Tel, Inc. on January 2, 2008. I just started with MediGrafix this last week.
So I have been working for both Sten-Tel and Parkway Motors for the past 3 weeks, all though it is not unnatrual for me to have 2 jobs, it is a little harder having 2 jobs and raising a child, and entertaining a husband.
I just put in my 4-week notice to Parkway, and I was a little sad, but being able to stay home with Channer is going to be so great.
Becoming an MT is not easy, but it is already starting to have its rewards. I will just give a little summary of the first 2 weeks at Sten-Tel and you will see that you have to start off at the bottom, but I am impressed with how much it has improved in such a short amount of time.
Day 1---$1.51 per hour
Day 2--$1.85 per hour
Day 3--$3.55 per hour (this was after getting my expander, and this is where the fun begins)
Day 4--$4.68 per hour
Day 5--5.00 per hour
Day 6-- $5.24 per hour
Day 7--$6.79 per hour
Day 8--$8.04 per hour
Day 9--$8.40 per hour
Day 10----this was Saturday morning and I am so proud to say I made $10.02 an hour.
I am hoping to hit that $20 an hour mark someday. Even if I never do, I am still finding this rewarding, and will also have an extra $400 a month in my pocket due to not having to pay for babysitter (not that they are not worth it, cause I would pay them more if I could afford it).
I am so scared about quitting and becoming a stay at home mom. I know it will take some getting used to, but I think I will really love it eventaully. I LOVE transcribing, I honestly think I could do it 20 hours a day if somebody let me. When I was in the course I had some doubts, but since working there has not been one morning that I have not "looked forward" to getting up at 4 am to start working.
Life could not be better right now for me. Good luck Tawnya in your adventure, I hope you love it as much as I do. Thanks to all my CS friends on here that have been a great support to me. Especially after I did not pass the final the first time around. You all have been so fun to get to know. For those in the course just remember that "the real world" is not near as hard, well at least not for me. I have not had one report as hard as the ones throughout the course.
Thanks everyone who reads this and I love you all, and by the way my little Channer is FINALLY walking. He is soooo fun!


Sorry, I just copied and pasted it directly from my MySpace, so hope it makes sense.

I started working for MediGrafix too and so I was able to quit. Within the first couple months of being home, I was up to making more at home than my full time job outside the home...only working 6 hours a day. I worked at those two companies for about six months when I decided I wanted to try something locally and something that fit me better. I applied for about 10 more jobs and received two more offers (see the jobs are out there)!!

I was lucky enough to find a great lady here in Cedar City and she had an opening available. I loved her work because the doctors were either in Nevada or Utah and she only has a few other MTs and was able to give me a lot of one on one attention. I also found a GREAT company called MTS. She also was a very small company with only a few transcriptionists, so I found exactly what I was looking for with a little better pay. The companies I started out at were great too, but a little large for what I wanted.

I love both of my jobs right now and am very grateful for the opportunities that have been presented to me.

1 comment: