Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Schedule!

There are IC (independent contractor) positions and employee positions and all four of the positions I have worked are IC. I chose this because then I am able to choose my own schedule and be flexible. I was a little worried about being an IC at first because it is like your own business and you have to pay your own taxes, well luckily I have a brother who is an accountant and helped me with all of that and it worked out great. You will learn about this in Career Step too!

When I was working full time outside the home at Parkway and trying to see if being an MT was going to work out, I worked from 4-8 in the morning and said I was going to change this schedule when I quit Parkway....well turns out I loved working from 4-8 in the morning and have stayed with that and then work a few hours in the afternoon or whenever I can fit it in. One of the main questions I get asked is if my schedule is flexible...YES!!! If there is a night I stay out too late and do not want to get up at 4...I dont. If there is a day that Channer is being exceptionally good and I have nothing to do, I ask for extra work. If Channer is being a stinker and does not even take a nap...I do not work. If I want to go to lunch with a friend or hang out with family for the day, I do. Working from 4-8 in the morning definitely helps me get my alone time and make a little more money. If I was not a morning person, I could do it at night...whenever. I am not required to work any weekends (another benefit that comes from most IC jobs), but if I am home on the weekend and Chantry is out hunting...I can work. Really, does it sound like a job gets more flexible than that???

Channer has been soooo good lately. He will just climb up on the couch and take a nap whenever he is ready, that is why I have time to finish my work and blog :) He will play with a puzzle or a car for an hour...watch shows on TV, or whatever. I am sure things will get a little messed up when this baby comes, but for now we have a great schedule.

Another thing I look forward to, is when my kids are in school. I can work while they are gone and still be the one to pick them up from school, volunteer for their activities, and play with them all afternoon.

Yes, there are jobs out there who require you work a set schedule and some weekends, a certain amount of hours per week, or a certain amount of lines. You just have to be picky with the job you get. The forums were GREAT for this because I was able to find out a lot about a company before even applying.

So to answer the question of..."can this job be done with kids".....YES!!

1 comment:

  1. Thats so awesome! I'm excited you started a blog just for this. And i'm excited to start the MT program hopefully within a month or two!

    ReplyDelete