Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Those who have asked....

I have had several people ask me how I became an MT and a lot about my job, so I thought I would just start a blog to explain most of the questions I have been asked and hopefully help some people out.

First I just want to explain why I became a medical transcriptionist....When I was pregnant with Channer, I started to get really sad about leaving him while I worked full time. I had a great job working full time outside the home and have always worked at least one or two jobs since I was 15 and so I was a little worried about just being home, also I wanted to be able to contribute financially to our home, so I looked in to several stay at home jobs. Luckil, I was able to find Career Step and decided to pursue Medical Transcription. I had heard of a lot of scams and really did not look much into Career Step, but just went with my gut, and got lucky. It turns out they are the cheapest and best Medical Transcription school in the nation.

I actually started taking the course and took my first test the day before I went into labor with Channer (boy do I wish I would have started it earlier). At Career Step they allow you to work at your own pace and give you one year before you have to pay for an extension, so I set my goal at one year. I only worked on the course for two hours a day, five days a week and was able to finish it in a year. I had a friend who recently completed the course in six months...so it is all up to you and how much time you have to contribute. The course was pretty difficult and there were days that I felt I wanted to give up, but I did not want to waste my money and time I had already put into it, so I kept going. I took the final a few months before my year was up and failed it the first time...this had me thinking I was crazy to even think about doing this. I retook the final two weeks later and passed with honors. It was a huge accomplishment for me...but now to find a job!

No comments:

Post a Comment